Sunday, November 12, 2006

Speaking only in commands.
“Your rosemary’s dying,” she said to me, and lifted the tired, browning plant from the windowsill. Rubbed a couple of now-brittle needles between her fingers, separating them easily from their stem. “It needs more sunlight.” I thought of those stats you hear that most murders take place between people who know each other well. Crimes of passion.

But here it had only been a week since I’d carried this plant home from the Farmers Market and already we were at killing, at life-and-death.

I had brought it home to live, but now I was preventing it from making its food. And there was no sunnier place in this small flat, than where I had placed the arid plant. It could not stay here and survive.

There was something that separated me from these plant people, these people who sprouted vines from their fingers that then ran around windowframes and flowered and made their living places living places. It was the same thing that separated me from people who trained dogs and horses. A certain lack of control that the leaf, the hound and the mare all saw and knew. To do anything in this world you just have to believe you’re doing it and soon enough, it’s done; but with me and plants and puppies, I caught myself up in the amazement that these were mine to care for. If I screwed up, they’d die.

Simply put, I cared too much. I cuddled the baby mutt I shared with my ex and the next thing I knew, he’d scratched up the couch and eaten my favorite hat. I tried creating distance, as the trainer directed. I tried speaking only in commands, but it was too late: the dog knew I loved him best. I tried commanding the plants, as well: the ivy, the herbs, I watered and sunned, no more singing, this time. Only: grow. Grow! But they withered, beyond my control.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crimes of passion....I cared too much."

Very nice. :)

By the way: pothos. Very hard to kill, requires little light, doesn't need frequent watering, very leafy, grows viney tendrils that you can clip and root in a jar of water and plant again. Pet safe, as far as I know.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alice, I think you're onto something, in the "caring too much" spectrum. I had the opposite experience... when I was lonely and dating, my plants grew like CRAZY. They grew to the ceiling, they became dangerously fruitful. Then when I met Hub-D, they all withered. Every last one. They knew they'd been replaced? Does he have an overriding "black thumb?"... anyway, sounds like it's time to just cook something with the rosemary and be done with it!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Tom,
I'll try it. I miss green on the inside, even though, por lo general, this is a very green place where I live.
Also - I miss you guys! Great big x's and o's to all the Sunday nighters!

C-Mama, Luckily, back when I was madly in love with and living with Otis-Dog's daddy, he didn't turn black and wither. He just ate everything we loved most. Seriously: beautiful leather belt from Mexico? Gone. Favorite book? See ya.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home