Sunday, October 01, 2006

What Fall Does
There are moments, and they are rare, that you look up and find yourself living a new life. Not just inhabiting it, but living it. You’re out drinking beer at a grad school function. You wander back from one room of the bar to the other, talking and laughing with the friend you made five weeks ago, and there, at the table where you left them, are your friends. It’s home.

And it’s weird to realize this. Fall does something strange to me, to everyone I think, to some extent, but since I’m all weird and like, sensitive about this shite, I notice it in this intense manner every single year. One friend of mine says fall makes her manic and unstable. To me, it does something different. Something quieter and more thoughtful, but just as intense.

Here’s what I think: That in fall, we realize again that we’re vessels, vessels who now want to be emptied out of the old. The new faraway sun makes us realize what we didn’t when the glare was so hot and hard: We can see, suddenly, what’s not working for us, what’s making us uncomfortable. It’s the chill, and the way the sky feels bigger. Limitless. It makes me want to take on new, good habits. I am active, my muscles stretch and stir in air that is finally breathable again. And I am pensive and thoughtful and wistful. I want nourishment. Hot chocolate and chili. I want to talk for hours and be alone for just as much time. I want to listen to Richard Buckner and Diane Cluck. Spring is a time for romance. In the fall, I want to feel the truth like hard dirt, grit under the nails.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your reflections on fall are so much more poetic than my own (naturally). I thought maybe the feeling of needing and being ready for change each fall came from the rhythm of the school years beaten into me as a kid (like, shouldn't I be buying new jeans or something?). I like your view better :)

4:37 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Aw, gosh. Thanks, Tom. It's good to hear from you! And naw, I doubt I'm any more "poetic" than you. Geezle.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart your fall post, my sweet. I always feel that big blue opening, too. Crunch, crunch, go the leaves! Out come the sweaters! Everything so red and orange and bright, bright. And let's not forget . . . Halloween. April may be the cruellest month, but October is the bestest month.

I miss you, my sweet. I think it's Diane Cluck weather, too. I'm gonna go put it on!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Aw, Mel! I miss you, too! I was just listening to Oh Vanille while folding laundry last night. I'm not sure about the thickness of the walls of this here building, so my nice neighbor lady mighta gotten a bit more crooning than she wanted. Not crooning. What then, is it that Diane Cluck does?
Fricking rules, that's what.

Hey, and didja know? - Joanna Newsom is playing in NC very soon... You should come.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home