Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Take a look at my girlfriend.
Yesterday continued to have weird voodoo powers long after I woke up without the urge to kill/escape.
Driving back from an interview for work way up I-75, I let my mind drift and suddenly knew exactly what direction to take my short story in. Then I came from work and spent the next four hours writing in the most relaxed, enjoyable manner, ever. Very little pacing about the house, very little shouting out expletives to no one. True: The end-product might win no prizes, but the afternoon was still one of the best I’ve had in a while.

I can’t help thinking this is sort of like the tip-of-the-iceberg in this Being Single thing. I’m starting to enjoy myself more than I have in years, and I’m struck over and over again by the realization that prior to now, I've spent very little of my adult life boyfriendless. No good, Batman. I know it.

Friday night, Audrey and I went to The Earl to see this great band Sybris , from Chicago. Drunk boys tried to pick us up but we just laughed and laughed at them, and then when I got home, I stayed up late painting my toenails and reading Karen Armstrong. But the best part of coming home was that I could have done anything I wanted. I could have decoupaged my room or jumped up and down on my bed or gone back out and eaten a sundae at the Majestic.