Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Exploding Head
On Saturday, I was felled by an Evil Migraine. I’ve never had one of these before, but thank god Hunter was there to run to our trusty Internet and see if retching, gripping of head and complete lack of coherence in his girlfriend, were indeed symptoms of a migraine, as he suspected. They were.

So I spent the afternoon locked away in fetal position in the cave of a comforter. As drugs kicked in, symptoms eased and I returned to being something more than a single-celled organism, I became lucid enough to blame the following for my misery:

1. Stress from work.
No, not from work exactly. I like my job. Stress from some of the aspects of work that have nothing at all to do with anything with what i love about what i do. That stuff that can stress any of us out, in any job. There ya go. I just vagued you to death!

2. The effects of waking up Friday morning,
all full to-the-gills of the righteousness of one who’s already been handed her trophy, so positive I was that our president had fallen so hard on his face in the previous night’s “debate,” so excited that the fact of his utter idiocy had been exposed once and for all, to the entire world...

...Only to turn on NPR and hear them talk about the two contestants “parrying” it out, the night before – and to hear a local opinion piece featuring a local woman-on the-street saying Bush had clearly stood his ground and he’s got her vote! (Okay: hooray for standing one’s ground: What about flexibility??? What about real strategy????)
...Only to read in the paper that “Kerry said Bush blundered by starting the Iraq war, while the president said Kerry abandoned his support of the war for political reasons.” Yeah. And that’s about all Bush said. Over. And over again. Between sputtering and whining about the difficulty of his job. Of course, our newspaper is the Cox-owned Atlanta Journal Constitution; I really don’t expect much real analysis from it. Still, the bulk of media attention to this thing was so tentative, so...scared. I had gone to bed feeling righteous, and by the day’s end I felt more alone/crazy than ever.
(Speaking of whining.)

And so on Saturday, as I knew would have to happen sooner or later, my head exploded.

0 Comments:

<< Home